When it comes to natural medicinal treatments, chiropractic care is one of the most effective methods you can have. Studies have proven that regular chiropractic manipulation and therapy helps with pain relief, improves circulation, and even increases your energy and mental clarity.
Part of the reason taking care of your spine has a butterfly effect of consequences on the rest of your body is that everything connects together. Your bones, joints, muscles, and nerves are an interrelated network, and when one tiny area is inflamed or hurting, you’ll feel it in the rest of your body, too.
You’re not always aware of the damage going on internally, though. You may expect to feel pain if you are injured, but there’s a lot going on below the surface, too. The buildup of toxins on a daily basis causes invisible damage inside your body. Chiropractic care releases these toxins so that sensitive network running throughout you can work better.
Eliminating Toxins the Safe Way
No matter how careful you are, it’s easy to absorb toxins from the environment and your diet. They’re found in everything from toothpaste to food. Toxic buildup over time damages your body in ways such as:
- Poisoning enzymes, needed to generate cells and produce energy in your body
- Weakening your bones by taking over the calcium in your skeletal structure
- Damaging organs and reducing your body’s ability to fight off free radicals
- Increasing your body’s degeneration and damaging the DNA
- Creating imbalances in your hormones, which can make you overly fatigued and cause fluctuations in your body’s endocrine system
Without you actively working to get rid of toxic buildup, the damage can spread. Regular chiropractic adjustments are a natural, effective way to release these toxins.
However, “toxic release” after your first adjustments is a common, but temporary, effect that you should be aware of and know how to handle if it happens to you.
Understanding Toxic Release
If your body has been storing toxins for a while, that first chiropractic adjustment is probably going to release them. The manipulation of your spine pushes the toxins out from where they were building up, working as a natural cleanse.
But as they are leaving your body, you may feel some short-term side effects that remind you of having a cold or the flu. This is perfectly normal and does not last long, and not everyone will have it happen to them.
Toxic release occurs as the joints and spine are being treated for dysfunctions like subluxations or interferences that cause discomfort, pain, or disruptions along the nervous system. Ultimately, your spinal function will be improved, but there might be a short adjustment period while your body gets used to its new processing abilities.
As you continue to have regular chiropractic care, you won’t have this long-term buildup of toxins to have to break through before you’ll feel relief. Once the initial short period of adjusting to its improved state is over, you will feel better with continued treatment.
The Signs of Toxic Release
Approximately one in five people will experience some form of toxic release after their first adjustment. This problem doesn’t last long, but if you are feeling unwell after your treatment, you might notice signs like:
- Symptoms that make you wonder if you’re coming down with a cold or the flu
- General fatigue and malaise
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Diarrhea and/or stomach aches
- Tightness in your muscles
- Night sweats
The symptoms of toxic release should go away within a few days, but if you’re concerned, contact your chiropractor. Meanwhile, there are a few things you can do to prevent or manage these side effects.
Controlling Toxic Release Symptoms
Preventing the buildup of toxins and managing toxic release side effects are both managed in similar ways. Healthy choices improve the way your body gets rid of toxins. Try these methods to get rid of toxins daily and to reduce the symptoms of toxic release if they occur:
- Stay hydrated. Your body is mostly water and when it starts to dehydrate, you’ll notice it in different ways. In order for your immune system to function properly and your body to flush out toxins, you need to drink sufficient amounts of water. If you think you’ve had enough, drink more anyway.
- Physical activity is a great way to eliminate toxins through sweat, but it’s also a way to trick your body into feeling better. When you exercise, even with light movements like yoga or walking, your brain produces endorphins – the “feel good” hormone. These endorphins improve your mood and decrease some of the toxic release side effects.
- Sleep well. Rest is crucial to your health, but when you’re not feeling well, it’s even more important. Try to sleep a little extra after your first adjustment, and if you start experiencing toxic release symptoms, let your body rest more. You’ll get over the side effects quicker if your body has time to process them without extra stimuli.
- Choose healthy meals. Food is your body’s fuel. Filling it up with processed and junk meals increases your toxic buildup. In order to run efficiently and healthily, your body needs nutritious fuelings, especially if you are not feeling well. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and avoid junk food while you wait for the toxic release symptoms to pass.
Choose Healthy, Preventative Care
Toxins are dangerous to your body and your overall wellbeing. Eating well, exercising, and making good health choices reduces the amount of toxic buildup you experience, and regular chiropractic care can help, too.
When you are ready to improve your health, have more energy, and feel better, contact PhyxMe Physical Therapy and Chiropractic. Together, we can get you on the path to a newer, healthier lifestyle!